Universal Orlando has today announced Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval, a modified Mardi Gras event that will expand on the authentic cuisine inspired by one of the most iconic Carnival festivities across the globe. The event will take place daily at Universal Studios Florida starting from the 6th February and ending on the 28th March, 2021.
More than 70 dishes and beverages from 13 locations around the globe will be featured this year. Mardi Gras will be celebrated throughout Universal Studios Florida, as the park will be decorated vibrantly. Just like years prior, the event will feature costumed dancers and stilt performers (just at a safe distance). Guests will have the chance, for the first time ever, to get up close with the intricately detailed floats that will be stationed throughout the park.
A newly-themed Mardi Gras Tribute Store stocked with new merchandise will also be returning. The store will feature three rooms inspired by the event:
- A hopping jazz parlor straight out of the 1920s with dueling pianos and bellowing brass
- A flower-filled nautical cemetery, where many sea captains were laid to rest
- A waterfront warehouse, where all manner of smuggled treasures and trinkets are stashed
The varied culinary menu will feature iconic Cajun fare and traditional Carnaval flavors from across the globe, including:
- Fan-favourite Cajun cuisine from New Orleans, such as a Crawfish Boil, Jambalaya, Beignets and other Big Easy delights.
- Classic Carnaval dishes from the islands, such as Pernil & Mofongo from Puerto Rico, a vegan Pholourie from Trinidad and Tobago and Jerk Chicken from the Bahamas
- Pork Schnitzel Sliders and Bavarian Pretzels from Germany, iconic Paella Mixta and Leche Frita from Spain, and Belgium Liege Waffles from Belgium
- Other famous flavours from Brazil, Canada, Colombia and more
A tasting lanyard will be available to buy. There will also be Carnaval-themed menu options at Universal CityWalk and the Universal Orlando Resort hotels, as well as a Mardi Gras Scavenger Hunt. Stay tuned for further details.
Because of Universal’s enhanced health and safety procedures, the popular Mardi Gras concert series will not take place this year, according to Inside Universal.
Universal will continue to screen guests and team members, enforcing social distancing, requiring face masks, limiting capacity, and increasing their cleaning and disinfection procedures. Guests may remove their face coverings while actively eating or drinking, but must be stationary and maintain appropriate social distancing.
Mardi Gras 2021: International Flavors of Carnaval is included with admission to Universal Studios Florida or with a Seasonal or Annual Pass.
You can find out more about the event here.
Stay tuned to Orlando Theme Park Zone for more Orlando theme park-related news and information.