Starting this weekend, Universal Orlando Resort’s (Universal Orlando) Mardi Gras Celebration kicks off with new and returning Cajun-style cuisine. Fan-favourites like Gambo and Jambalaya will be joined by all-new dishes inspired by carnivals worldwide.
From the 1st February through 2nd April, 2020, guests can enjoy new items at The French Quarter Courtyard at Universal Studios Florida (USF), as well as several other locations in Universal Citywalk, including Voodoo Doughnut, The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen and more.
Check out our full food and drink guide for the event below.
NEW: Carnival Around The Universe Tasting Tent
This new tasting tent in the French Quarter Courtyard will feature dishes inspired by carnivals worldwide with new menu items debuting bi-weekly throughout the event, including a variety of plant-based (PB) options:
Week 1 & 2 – 1st February – 15th February, 2020 – Trinidad & Tobago
- Grilled Pineapple Trini Chow: Topped with kimchi seasoning and micro cilantro (PB)
- Pholourie: Fried spicy split pea dough with turmeric, curry powder and a tamarind chutney (PB)
- Chickpea Double: Chickpeas served on a spicy bara flatbread with micro cilantro and mango chutney (PB)
Week 3 & 4 – 16th February – 29th February, 2020 – Louisiana Creole
- Softshell Crab Slider: Crispy softshell crab topped with organic vegetable slaw and served on a soft brioche roll with bayou aioli
- Cauliflower Dirty Rice: Riced cauliflower with Gardein crumbles, Black eyed peas and Cajun spices (PB)
- Pecan Street: A specialty cocktail with pecan vodka, caramel and apple cider
Week 5 & 6 – 1st March – 14th March, 2020 – Brazilian Carnival
- Pão de Quiejo: Traditional warm cheese bread with a guava dipping sauce
- Sugared Sweet Plantains: Covered in cinnamon and sugar and served with banana poppy seed dipping sauce (PB)
- The Girl from Ipanema: A specialty cocktail featuring gin, lime, orgeat syrup, coconut water and pineapple simple syrup
Week 7 & 8 – 15th March – 2nd April – Germany
- Sauerbraten: Slow braised beef, buttered Spaetzle, and pickled red cabbage topped with a savory red wine sauce
- Grilled Bratwurst: Served on a potato pancake with whole grain mustard and sour cream and chives
- Warm Pretzel
NEW: ‘Float Floats’ at Schwab’s Pharmacy
Inspired by the all-new Mardi Gras parade float theme, Treasures of the Deep, Schwab’s Pharmacy will serve over-the-top ice cream floats to celebrate Florida’s biggest party.
- Mardi Gras Float: Pineapple and lime soft serve with grape soda, blueberry Boba and a waffle cone flag
- Shipwreck Float: Pineapple and chocolate soft serve with pineapple soda, cotton candy and a waffle cone flag
- Sunken City of Atlantis Float: Vanilla soft serve with wild berry soda, mango Boba and a gummy shark
NEW Speciality Cocktails and Non-Alcoholic Beverages
Also inspired by this year’s Mardi Gras theme, are new speciality cocktails served in exclusive souvenir cups including High Seas Twister with rum, blood orange liqueur, and watermelon juice, and the Bourbon Street Punch with bourbon, orange, coconut puree and orange juice to name a few.
Plus, also new to this year’s event, are recommended food and drink pairings which can be found on the tasting tent menu boards.
For the little jesters in the family, there are a variety of non-alcoholic beverages including the all-new coconut water that is served out of an actual coconut, which is available at The Carnival Around the Universe Tasting Tent during the first two weeks, and the fan-favourite Bayou Bog Water.
New Orleans Flair at Universal CityWalk
New Mardi Gras themed food items will debut at Universal CityWalk at several locations, including Voodoo Doughnut, The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen and more.
For the doughnut lovers out there – head over to Voodoo Doughnut and pick up a yeast doughnut filled with cinnamon sugar Bavarian cream and topped with vanilla glaze and sprinkles inspired by the iconic Mardi Gras colours.
Ever wanted to drink an iconic Mardi Gras king cake? The Toothsome Chocolate Emporium & Savory Feast Kitchen will be serving up The French Quarter artisan milkshake that includes king cake, cream cheese crema and pastry cream topped with king cake and a beignet.
Seasonal cocktails throughout Universal CityWalk, including The Jester found at the food and beverage carts, Voodoo Doctor at Bob Marley – A Tribute to Freedom and Masquerade Martini at The Cowfish
Additional Mardi Gras inspired menu items can be found at venues across Universal CityWalk.
Returning Cajun Cuisine Favorites
Fans of the traditional and authentic New Orleans cuisine – never fear! Your favorite classic Cajun dishes will return to The French Quarter Courtyard at Universal Studios Florida:
- Shrimp Gumbo
- Crab Etouffee
- Gator Bites
- Variety of Po’Boys
- Cajun Twisted Tators
- King Cakes
Add-on New Orleans Inspired Experiences
As part of the family-friendly version of the renowned Big Easy bash, guests can also purchase festive Mardi Gras add-on experiences for guests craving more.
Mardi Gras Testing Lanyard
Can’t decide on just one dish? Never fear! The Mardi Gras Testing Lanyard will allow you to sample multiple dishes and drinks for one price throughout the price. Whether you are looking to enjoy all of this year’s food and drink items, or sample just a few the bold new additions, there are a variety of Mardi Gras Testing Lanyard to choose from starting at £30+
The Bayou Boil – An Exclusive Mardi Gras Experience (The Bayou Boil)
On select nights, The Bayou Boil will allow you to enjoy a Louisiana-style boil featuring crawfish, shrimp, potatoes and corn-on-the-cob, as well as an exclusive viewing area for the Mardi Gras parade with king cake, beignets, sparkling wine and non-alcoholic drinks.
Tickets for adults are $59.99 plus tax, and tickets for children (3 – 9) are $39.99 plus tax. Separate theme park admission is required.
Mardi Gras Feast & Floats Dessert Party (Feast & Floats Dessert Party)
On select nights, Feast & Floats Dessert Party will give you the best view of the Mardi Gras parade whilst enjoy speciality desserts, savory vites, hot chocolate, assorted non-alcoholic drinks, and sparkling wine and cider. The party doesn’t stop there! You’ll also have an exclusive viewing area for Universal Orlando’s Cinematic Celebration.
Tickets for adults are $49.99 plus tax, and tickets for children (ages 3 – 9) are $29.99 plus tax. Separate theme park admission is required.
Find out about this year’s event, follow the link below: